How to Become a UK Tax Resident?

UK tax resident

In the common case when an individual is in the UK for a period of 183 days and maybe more than this within the limit of one tax year, this individual will be considered a UK tax resident. This explains that being a UK resident brings in a range of liabilities to pay the national insurance, income tax, and other kinds of taxes liability of the capital gains tax. This liability of capital gains tax is applied to the people who are involved in the selling of crypto, selling of shares or selling the parties. This will be paid for the income that you are earning and the profits you are making in the UK.

Moreover, the individuals who are on the page as a beginner might seek the answers to basic queries of how to become a tax resident in the UK, what is the case of already paid tax in foreign countries, what the case of UK visitors who are frequent to come here, and what if the individual is a dual resident. This comprehensive guide will help you to gather relevant information on everything that you need to know about how to become a tax president in the UK. Let us get further delved into the discussion to know more.


AccountingFirms makes it seamless to search for the best fit for your accounting and taxation needs by applying filters and getting the most customised result. Let’s hire the best accountant now!


What if I am in the UK for a Certain Period of Time?

If you are that new individual who has a temporary stay in the UK for a certain period, there are still chances that you will be considered a UK tax resident. This is applicable if your stay is for the minimum limit of 183 days. According to the ruling of HMRC in this regard, you will be considered a tax resident in the UK automatically if you are a full tie worker in the UK for the whole tax year, you have the main house in the UK and you have lived in the main house for a period of one month at least.

In case of being somewhere in the middle of this situation, HMRC will have to look into the details of your roots and where you belong to. This could involve the details of your property and your family members.


What if I’ve Paid Tax on My Foreign Income Already?

There are several cases in which individuals have paid the tax on the kind of income that they are getting from foreign sources. This makes them confused about the tax ruling in the UK. If you are the one who has paid the tax on foreign income too, you will be in a position where you are required to do the self-assessment tax returns in the UK and report the details to HMRC. However, to pay more than what you should in the form of tax, you must make the claim that can ask for Foreign Tax Credit relief. This will help to reimburse the tax that you have paid on your foreign income.


What is the Case of a Foreign Student?

If you are residing in the UK, however, you are a foreign student then you will have to worry about the matter of paying tax. This is because of the act that you must be using the amount that you are earning for basic needs that can involve the expenses of food, tuition fees, or the rent of your house.

On the other hand, if you are doing any one of the following, you will be liable to pay tax in the UK.

  1. You are earning from a foreign source and you are bringing the amount to the UK, but this amount is being used on expenses that are not related to tuition fees or the cost of living.
  2. You have a kind of income that you are avoiding bringing to the UK because of the tax liabilities.
  3. You are planning to make a permanent stay in the UK.


What if I am a Frequent Visitor to the UK?

If you are the kind of visitor who visits the UK quite frequently, this will not quite impact the ruling of tax according to HMRC. The duration and how many time you visit the UK does not matter in this regard. What HMRC will consider for the calculation tax, is the total number of your stay in the UK within the duration of one tax year. This will help to allow HMRC to make the tax calculations according to your days spent in the UK and whether you are liable to pay any tax or not.


Can I be a Dual Resident?

There are multiple cases that are observed to be dual residents in the UK. This means that an individual is holding the status of being a tax resident in more than one country at the same time. You must keep the tax rates aligned with your routine in such matters if you find yourself being the usual resident and have to deal with the tax liabilities of the UK and other countries as well. This will keep you aware of how much the tax of the UK and other countries can cost you. This will even help out to keep the tax preparation aligned as per the requirements.


The Bottom Line

Now that you have gathered a fair amount of information about how to become a UK tax resident, we can bring the discussion towards wrapping up. Being a resident of the UK will for sure bring in the dealing with tax liabilities. In the case of being a dual resident which explains that you are a resident of the UK as well as any other country, you will have to deal with more tax liabilities than a regular UK resident. It is also imperative to be aware of the fact about the foreign tax credit relief which will help you to pay just what you owe to HMRC and other tax authorities. We hope these few minutes of reading will help you better understand the procedure of becoming a tax resident in the UK.


Need Help or Have a Query? Get in touch with our professionals at AccountingFirms. Connect with the Best Accounting and Tax Experts near you in just 3 minutes – Register now for Free!


Disclaimer: All the information provided in this article on UK tax residents, including all the texts and graphics, in general. It does not intend to disregard any of the professional advice.