To figure out ‘what is a mission statement?’, you should ask yourself ‘what’s the purpose of your business?’ It is a concise statement that provides information on what your business is about, why it exists, and what is the mission of your business. Generally, it is as short as a single sentence or small paragraph.
This statement helps employees to work efficiently by encouraging them to achieve the productive goals of the company.
Let’s delve deep into it.
What is a Mission Statement?- An Overview:
Along with defining the basic goal and purpose of the company, this statement also shows its culture, ethics, and values. It relates these to the stakeholders and staff working within the company. Moreover, it also depicts what a company does, why it does, and how it does something.
How to Write it?
To write the statement, you need to be as concise as possible by narrowing down the core purpose of your business. You should first need to find out what your company does. Then, you need to know what procedures it implements to perform activities. Finally, you need to jot down what your company does and why it does it briefly. At last, you need to review and edit it before publishing.
Need help with limited company formation, get in touch with us.
Here are some of the main advantages:
- It outlines the company’s goals for its stakeholders, employees, and the customers
- It keeps the business-focused for making better business decisions
- It shows the company’s purpose
- It guides and motivates employees
These are some of the disadvantages of this statement:
- It might be too unrealistic that detracts employees from the company’s goals
- It takes a lot of money and time to develop
- A bad statement wastes resources that can be utilized elsewhere
Mission Statement – Examples:
Every company has its own vision statement or manifesto depending upon its industry type, purpose and the work it does. Here are some of the common examples:
- Google: “Our mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
- Amazon: “Our mission is to be Earth’s most customer-centric company. This is what unites Amazonians across teams and geographies as we are all striving to delight our customers and make their lives easier, one innovative product, service, and idea at a time.”
- Microsoft: “Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.”
- Nike: “To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world.”
- Tesla: “To accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.”
Quick Sum Up:
Hopefully, you have got information about what is a mission statement, how to write it, and what are its advantages and disadvantages. We have also provided you with examples of the statements of the world’s largest organization.
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information about the topic.